[Samba] Reg License

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 12 00:20:37 MDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-05-12 at 00:38 +0200, Germ van Ek wrote:
> I don't speak on behalf of any developers, but most times it is very difficult to change the license of an open source project, as the consent of all contributors would be needed which is nearly impossible. There are ways, but I don't think it is very likely.

Indeed.

> Further information about linking gpl is widely available on the net.

It is.  You are free to build your project using the GPLv3 libraries,
but complying with the terms while doing so on a iOS device will be
difficult as your user will not have the ability to modify the source
and reuse it.  See 'anti-tivoisation'

> Afaik it is always allowed to link to any library as long as you don't change it or open source only the changes to the library.

That isn't the case.  As a copyright holder, I take care not to give
licence advice, because this is a difficult area and I don't want my
short e-mails misunderstood later, but I will say that the opposite view
is often put, that software that links a GPL library must itself be
licensed under a GPL compatible licence.

Both of these points may make using Samba libraries in a proprietary
application on a iOS device impossible.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett