[Samba] Samba4 on hosted root server

Carsten Laun-De Lellis carsten.delellis at delellis.net
Wed May 8 01:54:54 MDT 2013

Hi list

I am trying to install Samba4 on a hosted server but haven't been
successful yet.

Environment:

Hosted Server with official .net domain. OS is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server
64-bit. DNS for domain is registred with provider's name servers.

Installed Samba with Bind backend following the how-to on
http://www.matrix44.net/cms/notes/gnulinux/samba-4-ad-domain-with-ubuntu-12-04
[1] .

When I tried to join the domain I got an error message that SRV
_ldap._tcp.dc.msdcs.official.domain not found. No DC can't be located.

I checked if name service is working properly on the server itself:

> host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc.msdcs.official.domain

_ldap._tcp.dc.msdcs.official.domain has SRV record 0 0 389
rv1325.official.domain.

>host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.official.domain

_kerberos._udp.official.domain has SRV record 0 0 88
rv1325.official.domain.

>host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.official.domain

_ldap._tcp.official.domain has SRV record 0 100 389
rv1325.official.domain.

Everything looks fine

I tried the same from another linux server with:

>host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc.msdcs.official.domain [server-ip]

Also everything works fine. I've got the same replys.

But whenever I try to join the domain it doesn't work.

I would appreciate any help and ideas.
--

Regards,

Carsten Laun-De Lellis