[Samba] Samba, Win7 login failure

snowybunting snowybunting29er at gmail.com
Wed May 1 08:33:44 MDT 2013

I have an XP box that is hosting our MRP server software with the
databases on a Centos 5 machine via samba. I was running all my apps on
it as well. I decided to dedicate that machine to the server software
and got a Win7 machine for my apps, databases still on the centos box. I
changed the name of the XP machine to "server", it still logs into samba
with my credentials. The Win7 machine is named differently than the XP
box. It will not log into samba shares with my credentials, but it will
if I use someone else's. Smbclient -L back to the Win7 machine fails,
but works to the XP machine and its new name. Since logging in with
another users name works, I have to think the Win7 is communicating
properly, I just can't get there with my own credentials. Using my
credentials on any other windows box on the network works fine. I'm
thinking I missed a step with the new machine, but can't put my finger
on it. Any help is appreciated.