[Samba] Samba4: File ownership for Domain Admins members

Daren Russell darenr at madaboutcable.com
Thu Mar 28 06:40:40 MDT 2013

Hi

I've just installed Samba 4.0.4 on FreeBSD to test for the moment.

Everything so far has gone very well: joining the domain, GPO's etc.
However one thing that is happening which I find unusual, is the owner
of files created by a user who is a member of the Domain Admins group as
well as Domain Users.  All files created by the user are owned by id
3000000 (which I believe S4 maps to BUILTIN/Administrators) and not the
actual user.  If they are then removed from the Domain Admins groups
(and so left only in Domain Users) and the file created, the owner is
the actual user.

I presumed a file would be owned by the user regardless of what group
they were in.  These file tests were carried out on each user's home
directory, which was also owned by the user.  The question is: is that
the way it's supposed to be?

Regards
Daren