[Samba] Making users local administrators

Terry Austin terry at crownhardware.com
Thu Mar 21 09:39:03 MDT 2013

On 21 Mar 2013 at 11:28, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:

> Well, if you must allow them to have this access, I would make it through a separate account. There is no good reason to have users logging in daily as Administrator anymore.

There's too much idiocy in the design of our point-of-sale/inventory
software, and we have a deal support web site we *have* to use to run our
business that runs on ActiveX controls in IE (and that get updated often
enough to be a pain), and too many users who couldn't remember how to do
that. It'd never work. Believe me, I know the hazards here. Once we start
logging in to a domain, things will be a *lot* more secure than they ever
have been before, with just local Windows accounts (with admin rights).

The risks are mitigated by the fact that we are a retail business, and the
vast majority of my users are store level management (who, wile often
clueless about computers, are generally pretty smart) who spend as little
time as possible in the office instead of on the sales floor. They don't so
much on the computer, even less online, and very little of that is outside
of a very small group of web sites that are generally pretty safe. Only the
store office computers have unrestricted internet access.

We haven't had a lot of issues. One, that I recall, in 15 years, that
required more than a system restore to fix or affected more than one
particular computer.

> Trouble with mailing lists: you will get an opinion on what you're doing, want it or not.

Honest, I'm surprised it took as long as it did.

Really, folks, I do know the risks. And I really have no choice.