[Samba] no network interfaces found on OpenIndiana (Illumos)

Tris Mabbs TM-Samba201302 at Firstgrade.Co.UK
Thu Mar 7 05:28:36 MST 2013

Hiya Joeri,

> Thank you for your reply! Really helpful.

You're most welcome - hope it helps!

> I'm suspecting that my problem had something to do with virtualbox.
> I deployed it today on a normal physical machine and it worked immediatly,
without the interfaces line.

I think it might possibly be something to do with the actual interface
names.
My OpenSolaris box, and your VirtualBox image, are both using "e1000g0" (in
my case also "e1000g1") interfaces, the generic Intel 825xx NIC driver.  In
my case, that's the correct driver for the actual physical card in use; in
your case, it is (if I remember rightly) the standard virtualised emulated
hardware supplied in VirtualBox.
The point is, if you look on the physical server on which you didn't have
any problems, I'll bet it's not using an "e1000g0" interface ...

I wonder whether it's purely down to the length of the interface name?
Typical Sun interface names are much shorter, E.g. "qfe0", "elx0", etc.

Whatever, hopefully adding an "interfaces" line on your VirtualBox will
resolve the issue (fingers crossed for you :-)

Good luck!

Cheers,

Tris.