[Samba] SAMBA bringing NFS server to a halt

Joseph, Matthew (EXP) matthew.joseph at lmco.com
Wed Mar 6 04:33:42 MST 2013

Hello,

We have a Red Hat 5.3 SAMBA 3.0.33-3.7 Server that shares a few directories to 4 other servers.
The other servers are Red Hat 5.3 and one Solaris 10 server.

I configured SAMBA to do the following for each share;

Force User: User1
Force Group: Group1

Create Mask: 02770
Security Mask: 02770
Directory Mask: 02770
Directory Security Mask: 02770

Inherit Permissions: Yes
Inherit ACLS: Yes
Inherit Owner: Yes
Guest Okay: Yes

When the other servers mount the SAMBA shares they work fine until someone starts using SVN or Eclipse.
This brings the SAMBA server to basically a halt. Looking at the processes I see about 15000 instances of SMB running. I try running top to see a list of processes but it takes about 10 minutes for it to start and then it will hang when it tries to do its first refresh.

Looking at the logs I don't see anything that really stands out on why it is slowing down.

Is there something I'm doing wrong in this configuration?

Thanks.