[Samba] Win8 account sees its home share, but "does not have permissions to access"

Mark Galeck mark at xpliant.com
Fri Jun 28 17:03:51 MDT 2013

Hello,

I am a beginner to Samba and I RTFMd carefully but cannot get started.

I want to access my user account "mark" home directory on Linux, with the
same account name on Windows 8.

The user "mark" has the same password on Linux and Windows 8.  In addition
I did this on Linux

>smbpasswd -a mark

and gave the same password.

Following the manuals on samba website I edited the samba configuration
smb.conf file so:

[global]
        hosts allow = ALL
        client signing = no
        # log files split per-machine:
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        # maximum size of 50KB per log file, then rotate:
        max log size = 50
        security = user

[homes]
        valid users = %S
        read only = No

and successfully started the samba service.

I can then see "mark" share on that Linux machine from Windows, I can map
it to a drive letter in Windows Explorer, and I also see this:

[root at v64-sw-dev003-mark /]# smbstatus

Samba version 3.6.12-1.fc17
PID     Username      Group         Machine
14678     mark          mark          mark-pc      (192.168.221.76)

Service      pid     machine       Connected at
mark         14678   mark-pc       Fri Jun 28 15:56:39 2013

No locked files

This all looks very good to me, as Samba server sees my client with the
correct username, Windows machine name and IP address.

YET, when I actually try to double-click on the share in the Windows
Explorer, I get an error dialog:

Windows cannot access \\192.168.221.32\mark
network administrator to request access.

192.168.221.32 is the Linux machine address.

Please, what am I doing wrong??

Thank you,

Mark