[Samba] samba_dnsupdate utility cannot contact KDC realm

Steven Williams theblessedadventhope at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 14:25:18 MDT 2013

I am in the process of trying to setup a Samba 4.0.6 AD DC on Fedora 18,
but dnsupdate is not updating the DNS records since I changed the
addresses that I have assigned to my NICs. At first I thought the
internal server didn't want to work, so I tried getting things setup
with Bind (which is working just not with Samba yet). I am wanting to
replace our Windows Server 2003 with RHEL 7 (or CentOS) when it comes
out, but I am using Fedora 18 to research that possibility. What can I
do to get DNS working again? Here is the command that I ran and it's output:

[root at localhost ~]# /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --all-names
--verbose
IPs: ['10.0.0.1', '10.255.255.4']
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate", line 506, in <module>
     get_credentials(lp)
   File "/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate", line 119, in
get_credentials
     creds.get_named_ccache(lp, ccachename)
RuntimeError: kinit for OM-SERVER5$@OHM.LOCAL failed (Cannot contact any
KDC for requested realm)