[Samba] samba4 missing group membership with getent group

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jun 21 09:08:26 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 15:39 +0200, Ali Bendriss wrote:
> On Friday, June 21, 2013 10:12:26 AM Rowland Penny wrote:
> > Hi, well yet another reason to use sssd instead of winbind.
> > [...]
>
> Hi,
>
> An other option is to use samba AD in one server and the file server (smbd +
> winbindd) in an other. Since I've done that (last year I think) I've got no
> problem at all. At first you may think that it's to much resources (2 servers
> or vm) but it's really flexible and easy to maintain.

Hi,
That's a good idea but we don't know what setup the OP has, we only know
that getent group doesn't work. In any case, if he wants to see getent
password work with the setup you suggest, he's going to have to
configure winbind in at least two distinct ways, once for the DC and
once for the file server. He will also have to edit smb.conf. Or maybe,
he could get away with not using getent at all on the DC?