[Samba] samba4 + cups - it is working for someone?

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Jun 10 07:54:51 MDT 2013

On 06/10/2013 03:47 AM, steve wrote:
> On 09/06/13 20:16, Gerry Reno wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> I just found my eror. i hope it's the same for you:
>>>
>>> Here is my smb.conf:
>>>
>>> [printers]
>>>       path = /var/spool/samba
>>>       printable = yes
>>>       printing = CUPS
>>>
>>> [print$]
>>>       path = /srv/samba/Printer_drivers
>>>       comment = Printer Drivers
>>>       writeable = yes
>>>
>>> [hpdeskjetf2200series]
>>>       path = /var/spool/samba/
>>>       browseable = yes
>>>       printable = yes
>>>       printer name = hpdeskjetf2200series
>>> #printer name = "HP Deskjet F2200 series"
>>>
>>> Note the printer name lines. I had the windows name "HP Deskjet F2200 series"
>>>
>>> The clue was in the logs:
>>> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: Unable to get jobs for ipp://localhost/printers/HP Deskjet F2200 series -
>>> client-error-not-found
>>>
>>> I changed to the Linux/cups printer name and print jobs got sent without error.
>>> HTH
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Steve, still not working for me.
>>
>> What is the output of  lpinfo -v  on your system?
>>
>> Gerry
>>

> Hi Gerry
> lpinfo -v
> network http
> network ipp
> network ipps
> network https
> direct usb://HP/Deskjet%20F2200%20series?serial=CN8BO1S0S605CC
> network socket
> network lpd
> direct hp:/usb/Deskjet_F2200_series?serial=CN8BO1S0S605CC
> network smb
> direct parallel:/dev/lp0
> network beh
> direct hpfax
>
> I wonder if you have the cups dev libraries and headers installed before you compile. I didn't so that was another
> problem I had. On openSUSE it's cups-devel. Just to make sure, I built with ./configure --enable-cups
>
> Suerte,
> Steve

Ok, here's lpinfo -v on my test system:
# lpinfo -v
network ipp
network lpd
file cups-pdf:/
network socket
direct scsi
network https
network http
network socket://192.168.2.180

The last entry is a networked printer

I notice that "network smb" is missing.  Going to CH10 in the Samba manual I see that it takes a symlink from smbspool.
Did you have to do that manually?  Or did it just get made during install?

Gerry