[Samba] Consistent Inter-Samba UID/GID Mappings

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Jul 29 23:36:37 MDT 2013

Hello Chris,

Am 30.07.2013 01:36, schrieb chris.hayes at proporta.com:
> In an attempt to implement RFC2307 in the Samba directory, I rebuilt my
> test domain (Samba4) using the --use-rfc2307 option in the samba-tool
> domain provision command.
>
> "The --use-rfc2307 option enables your Samba AD automatically to store
> posix attributes."
>   --
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO#Provisioning_Samba_.28Setting_up_a_new_domain.29
>

> This sounded like it would work perfectly for my needs. However it
> doesn't. I'd hoped that it would ensure that any new user or group is
> automagically assigned a uidNumber or gidNumber, etc. Currently I'm
> using RSAT to administer the directory.
>
> I'm rather hoping that someone can point out something important that
> I've not realised. Any information would be enthusiastically received.
> I'll update this with further information tomorrow (Samba versions -- I
> believe that the DC is 4.0.6 and the fileserver 3.6.3).

the --use-rfc2307 option doesn't automatically assigns xIDs on your DC.
It add's the additionals schemas to your directory that allows you among
others to assign xIDs to user/groups.

If you migrate to Samba AD, then the values from your old Samba PDC are
filled in this fields. If you provision a new domain and add
users/groups, the fields you require are not set. You can administrate
them through ADUC or other ways.

If you don't want to administrate the posix stuff in your AD, have a
look on sssd instead of winbind.

Regards,
Marc