[Samba] memory consumption with treesize pro and cifs shares

Linda W samba at tlinx.org
Mon Jul 29 18:39:30 MDT 2013

(some more followup---sorry if I ask too much / too many Q's,
if so, just don't respond! I won't be offended)..

You might look for a file system loop and check for options in treesize pro
to detect such.

Another program to try is "WinDirStat's home is
http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/.

The reason I mention the loop stuff is that windir stat has options to
detect
remote mounts and remote symbolic links and to follow them or not.

That can cause it to go in loops but not exhaust memory on th server.

Running it now in normal mode, it runs more aggressively against the
server and
I see the smbd process at 90% cpu usage  (the fact that the protocol is
single-server/client
makes it difficult to parallelize cpu usage, so 90% is how much of 1 core
it is using, vs. system wide it would be about 6.3%).

Note -- my instance of 3.6.12 is running with millions of files as well
(a bit over
9 million at last count) and is running on linux-3.9.8.  I'm not sure,
but I think
linux's multi-tasking ability is considered more efficient than BSD's,
though BSD is
has had some record of better security -- though to both those figures
the relative user
bases need to be considered (fewer users, fewer bugs found, more users,
more need
for different types of HW and efficient algorithms to handle high loads
across diverse
platforms, as well as the ability to keep source closed under BSD
(security through obscurity)).

Of note -- on the server, I see two instances of smbd running -- the
other is from
another machine where I have a logon instance in windows that I left
"suspended"
(disconnected from a remote session, so not really suspended -- looks
like explorer doing
some sort of indexing (which MS refuses to allow their indexer to use to
update a computer's
local index)).

Anyway, the two of them are running right around 129-137MB Virtual size
for each
with 24MB resident and 20M Shared...
Server's cpu's are Xeon X5660 @2.8Gh currently running at 1600MHz
(demand based
scheduler), so they aren't the fastest or the slowest.  Main disk
subsystem is a RAID50
of reasonable speed.  I would think it unlikely, but perhaps a slow disk
might cause
a backlog of requests... but I don't see that as likely.

Evidence points to the BSD-samba combination you are using.  :(.
You didn't mention --
* what processor/how many cores the NAS is using/has available?
* What type of disk are in use (Sata/SAS 4000RPM - 15K RPM);
* Is the system using RAID? Type?
* What file system is it using (options?)

Personally, in my limited exploration of home NAS units, I didn't
find any that were "well powered"; not as even as much as a
low-end workstation based server.  With
48G, your's already sounds better than most, but that's only 1 measure.

Also note, my version of treesizepro isn't the latest, it's officially
'OUTDATED' (says
so next to the version 5.4.4.707)....;-).  Newer versions may be more
aggressive
or have different options.