[Samba] Samba 4 Slow Performance

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 07:48:52 MDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Kinglok, Fong <busywater at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> After using samba 3 for two years, I have just spent totally one week finishing setting
> up a samba 4 file system in my working school.  There are about 200 computers,
> 80+ staff, 1000 students and 10 printers.  The AD was properly setup, mandatory
> profile and one GPO policy (which is printer download trust) is effective for all users.
> Logon script is for mapping four shares and 10 printers from the file server.   Also, I
> have setup two additional DCs (with AD replication and DHCP server) for two other
> subnets in the hope to speed up the logon process.

Hmmm, some further info might be useful.

Is the Samba server an AD DC or a simple member server?

Do you know (perhaps from a capture) whether the excess logon time is
mostly caused by the initial authentication or by trying to retrieve
the GPO and/or roaming profiles?

Do you know whether or not Kerberos is being used or if the client is
falling back to NTLM?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe