[Samba] Win2003 DC fails to detect Samba 4 DC

Garth Keesler garthk at gdcjk.com
Tue Jul 16 05:45:33 MDT 2013

Thanx for the reply. I've done more digging into the repl from the WinDC
side and in the event log, security, I see the following:

Pre-authentication failed:
      User Name:    SAMBADC$
      User ID:        MYDOMAIN\SAMBADC$
      Service Name:    krbtgt/MYDOMAIN.COM
      Pre-Authentication Type:    0x0
      Failure Code:    0x19
      Client Address:    10.20.60.15

In fact, I never see any successful attempts from the Samba DC. The web
reports:

When Windows Vista (or later version) client sends Kerberos
authentication request to DC, it uses AES to protect the authentication
message. However, as Windows Server 2003 DC does not support AES, it
logs a 675 event and replies back with the encryption types that it
supports. The Vista client then uses highest supported encryption type
that the Domain Controller supports (RC4-HMAC) and successfully be able
to supply Pre-Authentication.

So does Samba 4.0.7 respond correctly to these requests?

Next, when running dcdiag /s:sambadc from the WinDC, I see the following:

Domain Controller Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
    Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

    Testing server: PRR\SAMBADC
       Starting test: Connectivity
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

    Testing server: PRR\SAMBADC
       Starting test: Replications
          REPLICATION-RECEIVED LATENCY WARNING
          SAMBADC:  Current time is 2013-07-16 06:10:14.
             DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=mydomain,DC=com
                Last replication recieved from WINDC at 1601-01-01
00:21:41.
                WARNING:  This latency is over the Tombstone Lifetime of
60 days!
             CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=com
                Last replication recieved from WINDC at 1601-01-01
00:21:41.
                WARNING:  This latency is over the Tombstone Lifetime of
60 days!
             CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=com
                Last replication recieved from WINDC at 1601-01-01
00:21:41.
                WARNING:  This latency is over the Tombstone Lifetime of
60 days!
             DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=mydomain,DC=com
                Last replication recieved from WINDC at 1601-01-01
00:21:41.
                WARNING:  This latency is over the Tombstone Lifetime of
60 days!
             DC=mydomain,DC=com
                Last replication recieved from WINDC at 1601-01-01
00:21:41.
                WARNING:  This latency is over the Tombstone Lifetime of
60 days!
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test Replications
       Starting test: NCSecDesc
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test NCSecDesc
       Starting test: NetLogons
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test NetLogons
       Starting test: Advertising
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test Advertising
       Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test KnowsOfRoleHolders
       Starting test: RidManager
          No rids allocated -- please check eventlog.
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test RidManager
       Starting test: MachineAccount
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test MachineAccount
       Starting test: Services
             Could not open Dnscache Service on [SAMBADC]:failed with 8:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
             Could not open NtFrs Service on [SAMBADC]:failed with 8:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
             Could not open IsmServ Service on [SAMBADC]:failed with 8:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
             Could not open kdc Service on [SAMBADC]:failed with 8: Not
enough storage is available to process this command.
             Could not open SamSs Service on [SAMBADC]:failed with 8:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
             Could not open LanmanServer Service on [SAMBADC]:failed
with 8: Not enough storage is available to process this command.
             Could not open LanmanWorkstation Service on
[SAMBADC]:failed with 8: Not enough storage is available to process this
command.
             Could not open RpcSs Service on [SAMBADC]:failed with 8:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
             Could not open w32time Service on [SAMBADC]:failed with 8:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
          ......................... SAMBADC failed test Services
       Starting test: ObjectsReplicated
          Failed to read object metadata on SAMBADC, error The request
is not supported.
          Failed to read object metadata on SAMBADC, error The request
is not supported.
          ......................... SAMBADC passed test ObjectsReplicated
       Starting test: frssysvol
          The SysVol is not ready.  This can cause the DC to not advertise
          itself as a DC for netlogon after dcpromo.  Also trouble with FRS
          SysVol replication can cause Group Policy problems. Check the FRS
          event log on this DC.
          ......................... SAMBADC failed test frssysvol
       Starting test: frsevent
          Error 161 opening FRS eventlog \\SAMBADC:File Replication
Service:
  The specified path is invalid.
          ......................... SAMBADC failed test frsevent
       Starting test: kccevent
          Error 161 opening FRS eventlog \\SAMBADC:Directory Service:
  The specified path is invalid.
          Failed to enumerate event log records, error The specified
path is invalid.
          ......................... SAMBADC failed test kccevent
       Starting test: systemlog
          Error 161 opening FRS eventlog \\SAMBADC:System:
  The specified path is invalid.
          Failed to enumerate event log records, error The specified
path is invalid.
          ......................... SAMBADC failed test systemlog
       Starting test: VerifyReferences
          Some objects relating to the DC SAMBADC have problems:
             [1] Problem: Missing Expected Value
              Base Object: CN=SAMBADC,OU=Domain
Controllers,DC=mydomain,DC=com
              Base Object Description: "DC Account Object"
              Value Object Attribute Name: frsComputerReferenceBL
              Value Object Description: "SYSVOL FRS Member Object"
              Recommended Action: See Knowledge Base Article: Q312862

             [1] Problem: Missing Expected Value
              Base Object:
             CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=SAMBADC,CN=Servers,CN=PRR,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=com

              Base Object Description: "DSA Object"
              Value Object Attribute Name: serverReferenceBL
              Value Object Description: "SYSVOL FRS Member Object"
              Recommended Action: See Knowledge Base Article: Q312862

          ......................... SAMBADC failed test VerifyReferences

    Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones
       Starting test: CrossRefValidation
          ......................... DomainDnsZones passed test
CrossRefValidation
       Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
          ......................... DomainDnsZones passed test
CheckSDRefDom

    Running partition tests on : Schema
       Starting test: CrossRefValidation
          ......................... Schema passed test CrossRefValidation
       Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
          ......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom

    Running partition tests on : Configuration
       Starting test: CrossRefValidation
          ......................... Configuration passed test
CrossRefValidation
       Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
          ......................... Configuration passed test CheckSDRefDom

    Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones
       Starting test: CrossRefValidation
          ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test
CrossRefValidation
       Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
          ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test
CheckSDRefDom

    Running partition tests on : mydomain
       Starting test: CrossRefValidation
          ......................... mydomain passed test CrossRefValidation
       Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
          ......................... mydomain passed test CheckSDRefDom

    Running enterprise tests on : mydomain.com
       Starting test: Intersite
          ......................... mydomain.com passed test Intersite
       Starting test: FsmoCheck
          ......................... mydomain.com passed test FsmoCheck

Notice the strange date/time on the repl time from the windc to the
sambadc which caused a latency warning near the top of the dcdiag
output. There are several other errors but they may be expected when
dcdiag is run against a Samba 4.0.7 DC. Let me know if anything looks
incorrect.

BTW, I did check and port 53 responds to telnet on both DCs.

Thanx for the help and let me know if there is anything else I can provide.
Garth