[Samba] About NAS versus Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jul 14 06:20:29 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 11:55 -0300, Fernando Lozano wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > I work on a NAS product myself, and at this vendor and my previous
> > vendor Samba 4.0 as an AD DC was all I ever needed to use to test the
> > AD integration features of the NAS. Thanks, Andrew Bartlett
> Please tell me which product this is, so I can contact the local
> reseller. :-) You can send me in pvt if you think it would not be
> ethical to advertise your employee on the list.

> If I someone tell me "this product works" I can by knowing if something
> bad happens it's something I can solve. Sometimes the management
> interface for a product won't let you do things the embebed software
> could do, so I don't want to risk a product without someone telling me
> "this one worked for me".

My point was more that Samba 4.0 as an AD DC really is AD, certainly for
as much as a NAS cares about.  As discussed, most of these devices are
Samba based anyway, and Samba talks very well to our Samba AD DC.

The difference is with Samba's 'classic' domain mode (Samba 3.x),
because we use a different config option for that.  Some vendors do not
expose this functionality.

That said, it isn't a secret that I work on the NETGEAR ReadyNAS.

Previously I worked on the now discontinued Cisco Small Buisness NAS
product.

Andrew Bartlett