[Samba] About NAS versus Samba

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Fri Jul 12 07:55:38 MDT 2013

Hi,

> Its simple, this is a BAD thing tot do.
> But if you really want a nas.
As a technician I can agree, but I ceased trying to explain to
management. Hey, we must help hardware vendor personal have a living ;-)
and they help us put more expertise areas in our own resume. ;-)))

> Get a synology.
> The best you can get, is my experiance.

Thanks a lot. I hope not only best as a NAS but also easy to setup as a
member server for a samba 3 or 4 domain, right?

> Just get a pc with 2 harddisks and install.
> http://www.freenas.org/
Risking being off-topic on this list, many people told me not to use
freenas because it was unmantained. Do you actually use it, follow the
project closely, or just heard about it?

> personaly, get the samba4 appliance.
I have to use my RHEL subscriptions ;-) Will use sernet packages when I
get to upgrade to samba4.

> get zarafa, and you have about the samba as Windows + exchange
Already have Zimbra. Someday I'll research about integrating Zimbra LDAP
to Samba 4 LDAP. Won't try with Samba 3 because I hope to upgrade to
samba4 this year.

[]s, Fernando Lozano