[Samba] About NAS versus Samba

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Thu Jul 11 10:55:08 MDT 2013

Hi Gaiseric,

> It seems common that vendors (esp the sales guys) assume you are
> running Windows 200x and AD.    I think the logic is that "none of our
> customers use linux so we won't support it."     It becomes
> self-fulfilling when anyone wanting something besides the basic
> Windows AD support looks for other solutions.

Exactly my problem. Lasy vendors. ;-)

> Getting samba to work sometimes requires fiddling with protocol
> versions, WINS and DNS.      For example windows 7 won't work with
> Samba 3.x until you tweek the registry.       You can probably put
> together a price-comparable equivalent of the Buffalo using a
> white-box PC tower and linux.  You can even set up software
> raid.       It is more likely to work the way you want than a NAS box.
I have no problem with that. Have been doing this for years and my
employee is happy with the results.

I'm afraid the NAS box won't give access to tweaking its configuration.

But you know, everyone buys NASes today, it's getting harder to explaing
a common PC would be better. Here a server box with a RAID controller
and a hot-swappable disk bays is way more expensive than an iomega NAS
in a rack form factory.

[]s, Fernando Lozano