[Samba] Samba 3 member server connected to Samba 4 DC (using nslcd)

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 10:54:30 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I am having a problem connecting a Samba 3 member server to my newly
created Samba 4 DC.

I am using nslcd at the Samba 4 end successfully and this has allowed me to
login using domain accounts - I've also got this working with visudo and
/etc/security/access.conf to control sudo access with groups created on the
DC. All good.

My problem is that I have a Samba 3 member server (fileserver) that I'm
trying to get to get work in this scenario. I've installed nslcd and am
using the following conf file:

# /etc/nslcd.conf
# nslcd configuration file. See nslcd.conf(5)
# for details.

# The user and group nslcd should run as.
uid nslcd
gid nslcd

# The location at which the LDAP server(s) should be reachable.
uri ldap://10.30.54.2

# The search base that will be used for all queries.
base dc=test,dc=internal,dc=com

# The LDAP protocol version to use.
#ldap_version 3

binddn cn=nslcd-service,cn=Users,dc=essence,dc=internal,dc=com
bindpw ******

If I then do a "getent group" I get success and can see all the groups,
however "getent passwd" fails and I see this in the logs:

Jul  8 17:51:46 test-fs-001 nslcd[4587]: [8e1f29] passwd entry
CN=ice,CN=Users,DC=test,DC=internal,DC=com does not contain uid value

I've tried a few different conf attempts, but am confused why groups would
work and users wouldn't. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.

--
ACS (Alavoine Computer Services Ltd)