[Samba] Ubuntu compile/install location

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:36:31 MST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Gregory Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:

> Ok, while I'm usually more comfortable installing an RPM or DEB
> package and having the package maintainer handle all the details for
> me - I don't get a choice here.
>
> The latest Ubuntu 12.04 package is the Alpha18 release.
>
> So, I've compiled my own copy of Samba4.01 - and surprise, surprise,
> it went well.
>
> So the crux of the question is:
> Where should I install it to. [What directory.]
>
> The Wiki notes that it will go to [/usr/local/samba] by default.
>
> While this is probably more a Debian/Ubuntu question - it probably
> makes as much sense to ask here, vs the Ubuntu folks.
>
> I suspect there's a bunch of you who are experienced on Ubuntu and who
> might be able to point me to somewhere that might clarify this
> question for me, or offer their own experience/advice.
>
> So, again - the install by default is to [usr/local/samba]
> Is leaving the default a good idea? If not, why and where should I
> install to to avoid issues later.
>
> And as long as we're on the subject - any advice to make my long term
> experience better, having compiled my own vs. a package install?
>
> TIA
> -Greg

If you're willing, write the "apt" for it based on the older apt
files, and send it upstream to Debian. If not, I'd definitely review
the Wiki documentation at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4/OS_Requirements, and put it
in /usr/local/samba to avoid conflict with the "apt" managed packages
that may be required for other parts of your OS.

I've been doing similar things for Samba 3.x on RHEL for years now,
and publish my SRPM tools over at"
            https://github.com/nkadel/samba-3.6.10-srpm