[Samba] Organization of Users in Samba4

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Wed Jan 23 16:20:55 MST 2013

Hello,

I am working on migrating from OpenLDAP using the inetOrgPerson schema to Samba4. I would like to continue to provide backwards compatibility with our existing authentication service. In OpenLDAP, users are all contained inside the People organizational unit and referenced by uid, for example:
dn: uid=myuser,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com

When using samba-tool to add a user, it places the user inside of the Users cn, and references the user via its cn entry rather than via uid:
dn: cn=myuser,cn=Users,dc=example,dc=com

Is there any Samba4 or AD reason why I need to use cn=myuser,cn=Users,dc=example,dc=com for users, or can I import them to uid=username,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com and use this organizational structure instead?

Thanks,

Andrew