[Samba] Samba 4 Does not join existing domain as additional DC - Refusing to replicate from a read-only repilca into a read-write replica

Chris Lewis clewis at inview.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 10:11:42 MST 2013

Hello,

This behaviour may be of interest:

Attempting to join samba4.0 to an AD domain running a single 2008 R2
server. DNS is being provided by an existing bind 9 server.

After command:

/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain join example.com DC -U Administrator  -W EXAMPLE --dns-backend=NONE

Process to add the DC failed at this point:

Refusing to replicate DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=com from a
read-only repilca into a read-write replica!
Failed to convert object DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=inview,DC=local:
WERR_DS_DRA_SOURCE_IS_PARTIAL_REPLICA
Failed to convert objects: WERR_DS_DRA_SOURCE_IS_PARTIAL_REPLICA
Join failed - cleaning up

In my test environment, I did some playing around and found that I could
delete the troublesome namespaces using ntdsutil in partition management
mode (see
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730970%28v=ws.10%29.aspx)

ntdsutil delete nc DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=com

and

ntdsutil delete nc DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=example,DC=com

(These naming contexts are recreated when DNS server is started on the
Win 2008 server.)

After doing that, I got when I attempt to add the DC:

Refusing to replicate
DC=ForestDnsZones\0ADEL:e274cb7e-9b4d-4966-bc51-c4820808d9ba,DC=inview,DC=local
from a read-only repilca into a read-write replica!
Failed to convert object
DC=ForestDnsZones\0ADEL:e274cb7e-9b4d-4966-bc51-c4820808d9ba,DC=inview,DC=local:
WERR_DS_DRA_SOURCE_IS_PARTIAL_REPLICA
Failed to convert objects: WERR_DS_DRA_SOURCE_IS_PARTIAL_REPLICA
Join failed - cleaning up

This is because the objects still persist in AD  but are tombstoned
(hence the 0ADEL).

To try and get rid of them, I  reduced the tombstone lifetime from 180
days to what I gather is the minimum of 3 days (using ADSI edit).

I found after 3 days (and AD garbage collection) I was able to add the
DC successfully.

Has anyone else come across this? It could be some peculiarity on this
particular domain.

Thanks in advance.

Chris