[Samba] some DNS trouble ...

moss.mose at gmail.com moss.mose at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 02:57:35 MST 2013

For all the nice people in the world who … maybe … run into a similar problem …
Thank's to some help from Gregory Sloop here is the solution to my problem:

The problem was that BIND did reject "non-LAN" queries to "non-local"/"non-authorative" zones ...
Thus "all" I had to do was to tell BIND explicitly to accept other sub nets as well ...
In my case I changed my VPN net from 10.x.x.n to something similar to my LAN (192.168.x.n) and allowed all sub nets 192.168.0.0/16

in "named.conf.option"
allow-query		{ localhost; 192.168.0.0/16; };
allow-query-cache	{ localhost; 192.168.0.0/16; };

for good measure I added as well:
listen-on		{ any; };
(was only set for v6 in my conf … this didn't do the trick though but … ;)  )

greetings,
Oliver