[Samba] Samba AD DC with BIND DNS on separate server

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Mon Feb 25 13:08:35 MST 2013

LL> I see from the documentation that it is possible to use BIND9 as
LL> a drop-in replacement for the internal SAMBA4 DNS service...

LL> However, I would like to know if I can keep the BIND9 DNS server
LL> on a seperate server from de one that SAMBA4 is running on (AD DC).

LL> If this is possible, how would one go about achieving this?

LL> I've got an existing DNS infrastructure that I do not necessarily change in a big way...

LL> Thank You!

A thought. How about creating your domain as a subdomain of your
current DNS domain. Something like samba.some-domain.com - where
some-domain.com is the main domain you've got in BIND9.

Then, delegate only that subdomain to Samba4 and have the Samba server
forward queries for anything outside samba.some-domain.com to the
BIND9 server.

This gives you most of what you want: Not having to change the BIND9
server, as well as leave the internal namesever in Samba4. [They're
both happy and all works fine (I think)]

I know that doesn't answer your direct question, but perhaps it
offers a fuller view of what the options that might work are.

-Greg