[Samba] Samba 4.0 as a file server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 22 14:58:36 MST 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 12:53 +0000, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

> Thanks Andrew. Will do. Just for my own understanding - is it still
> possible to run Samba 4 as (just) a workgroup? If yes - does one just
> specify security=user in smb.conf and still uses the "samba" binary - or
> the "smbd" binary has to be started/used for workgroup operation? Or the
> smbd binary is actually still the Samba 3.x series and is not
> technically part of Samba 4 although it compiles out of the same download?
>
> Sorry if I'm asking what might be really basic stuff to others.

The WHATSNEW says:

# For pure file server work, the binaries users would expect from that
# series (smbd, nmbd, winbindd, smbpasswd) continue to be available.

With the exception of the deprecated security=server and security=share
being removed, operation of these binaries, and the services these
provide remains unchanged.

Andrew Bartlett