[Samba] Solaris 11 can't join Active Directory Domain

Jake Carroll jake.carroll at uq.edu.au
Sun Feb 17 05:04:40 MST 2013

Hi.

On 17/02/13 2:01 PM, "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:40 AM, İhsan Doğan <ihsan at dogan.ch> wrote:
>> On 02/04/2013 03:31 AM, Jake Carroll wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have an Oracle support contract for OS/integration?
>>>
>>> I'd log it in MOS if I were you, and see what they say. Approach this
>>>from
>>> two angles ;).
>>
>> I've contacted Oracle in the first place. According to them, it's not a
>> Solaris issue.
>>

>> Ihsan
>
>Solaris really has to be considered EOL, even though the support
>poromises for Solaris are nominally until 2024.  Sun is gone, they're
>not *making* Sun hardware anymore, and Oracle is urging their
>customers with Solaris to switch to so-called "Unbreakable Linux",
>which is a repackaging of RHEL with customizations for Oraclie
>database support. (And Red Hat is *really angry*, as they should be,
>because they've customized the kernel and kept their changes closed
>source.)

Well, without starting a small war (not the point of these lists at all),
I guess one of the problems some of us face is that, it's not just about
Samba. It's also about the file system technologies that Oracle owns that
don't really work on Linux platforms, and only currently work on Solaris
based systems. I guess there is a little bit of complication to it, in
that. Not sure if this is the case for Ihsan, but for my own purposes, I
actually *can't* use linux for the kinds of things I do, the file system
functions I need, and the technology problems I need to solve.

Not *yet* anyway ;). Maybe in time.

--JC