[Samba] Does Samba 3 work in a Windows 2008 R2 with NO WINS and NO NETBIOS

Andrew Watkins andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 08:26:09 MST 2013

I guess the only way to find out if it works is to switch off the
Windows 2003 AD DC and see if samba works.

Th problem is that I can't seem to prove it.

# smbclient -L localhost -U andrew
Enter andrew's password:
Domain=[DCSNT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.15]

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------
         W2003AD
         WWW2                 Samba Server

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------
         DCSNT                W2003AD

# smbclient -L W2008R2ADDC  -U andrew
Enter andrew's password:
Domain=[DCSNT] OS=[Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 7601 Service Pack 1]
Server=[Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 6.1]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
         C$              Disk      Default share
         D$              Disk      Default share
         E$              Disk      Default share
         IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
         NETLOGON        Disk      Logon server share
         SYSVOL          Disk      Logon server share
Connection to W2008R2ADDC failed (Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

# smbclient -L W2003AD  -U andrew
Enter andrew's password:
Domain=[DCSNT] OS=[Windows Server 2003 3790 Service Pack 2]
Server=[Windows Server 2003 5.2]

         Workgroup            Master
         DCSNT                W2003AD

Thanks,