[Samba] Samba 4.0 and 4.1 debian packages

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 18 16:21:29 MST 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 22:03 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 18/12/13 21:48, Michael Lustfield wrote:
> > Is there a deb for it somewhere? If I can build my own deb, then I can
> > build it on my apt server, but I can't be installing it from source.
> >

> > On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Rowland Penny
> > <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 18/12/13 21:34, Michael Lustfield wrote:
> >

> >         I'm using Debian 7. The installed version of samba is 4.0.0.
> >
> >     I had a feeling that was what you were going to say, that version
> >     is well out of date and is just for the AD server, can I suggest
> >     that you download and compile the latest version, it is very easy
> >     and will get you to where you want to go. Failing that, use either
> >     the Sernet packages or Samba 3.
> >     If you decide to go down the 'compile it yourself' path, I will
> >     assist you all that I can.
> >
> >     Rowland
> >

> I think that you mean that you are not allowed to compile it yourself,
> in which case, do an internet search for 'Sernet', you will have to
> register before you can add the apt source, but it is free. Sernet is
> the nearest anybody has got yet with proper debs.

I should clarify, this is no longer the case.

See: http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/samba.html

We have packages of Samba 4.0 in debian testing, and unstable, and the
packages for Samba 4.1 are in experimental and will be in unstable soon.
A backport of Samba 4.0 to debian stable is in the NEW queue for
backports.

What should be avoided is the samba4 package.  This is stuck at version
4.0.0beta2, and won't be updated any further.  Instead, we (those of us
involved in the debian samba package) have focussed on the combined
package.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--