[Samba] Success with samba4 ( debian wheezy member server )

Cyril cyril.lalinne at 3d-com.fr
Wed Dec 18 01:59:19 MST 2013

Le 17/12/2013 23:27, steve a écrit :> On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 17:41 +0100,
Cyril wrote:
 >> There's some points I don't understand :
 >>

 >>   > 1) point your dns ( /etc/resolv.conf ) to the ad server.
 >>
 >> Ok, This is done by the DHCP server.
 >>
 > No chance.
 >
 > The only way on the member server is to hard code
 > 127.0.0.1 hostname.domainname hostname
 > to /etc/hosts

I think that's already the case, the workstation (windows and linux) is
resolving well the server name without any modification on the client
network configuration.

 >>> 2) make user hostname.domainname works.
 >>> 	test it with :  hostname -s ( single name )
 >>> 			    hostname -d ( domainname )
 >>> 			    hostname -f  ( hostname.domainname )
 >>
 >> Ok, I add an "A" entry in the DNS Zone.
 >>
 > Not necessary. This is done when you join the domain.

I agree when joining windows workstation.

But with Linux workstation, I wasn't able to join without an entry in
the DNS server

 >>> 3) TIME MUST BE IN SYNC !! ( apt-get install ntp , edit
/etc/ntp.conf put in server IPofADserver

 >> done
 >>

 >>> if this works..
 >>>
 >>> apt-get install krb5-user sernet-samba-winbind sernet-samba
 >>
 >> I'm using ubuntu. So may I install krb5-user samba4-clients winbind4 ?
 >> I'll have a try ...
 >>
 >> Doesn't work on ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
 >>
 >> I'm trying with an older version : samba and winbind
 >>

 >>> check the /etc/krb5.conf file
 >>> if you dont see your domain ( realm )
 >>> type : dpkg-reconfigure -plow krb5-user
 >>> it should fill it, if not fix it yourselve.
 >>>

 >> That's ok
 >>
 >>> then go here and copy the smb.conf and put it in /etc/samba
 >>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba/Domain_Member
 >>> !! change the workgroup and realm, and keep the CAPS !
 >>>
 >>> edit /etc/default/sernet-samba
 >>> put in classic
 >>>

 >> Does that mean that configuring a linux client is nearly the same as
 >> configuring a BDC without sharing or other services ?
 >>
 >>> start samba.
 >>>
 >>> almost there.
 >>>
 >>> check /etc/nsswitch.conf
 >>> should have.
 >>> passwd:         compat winbind
 >>> group:          compat winbind
 >>>
 >>> wait 10-20 sec.
 >>>
 >>> test
 >>> kinit administrator
 >>>
 >> kinit: KDC reply did not match expectations while getting initial
 >> credentials
 >>
 >> I think, I'll have to try with newer version of samba and winbind
 >>

 >>> ( you should see administrator at YOURREALM !  )
 >>> test ok,  Join the domain.
 >>> net ads join -U administrator
 >>>
 >>> joined ?
 >>>

 >> Damned; my howtname is too long !
 >> May I use a FQDN for the workstation ?
 >>
 >> After having changed the hostname for something shorter :
 >>
 >> Using short domain name -- mydomain
 >> Joined 'mymachine' to realm 'mydomain.com'
 >> DNS Update for mymachine.mydomain.com failed: ERROR_DNS_INVALID_MESSAGE
 >> DNS update failed!
 >
 > It failed because the DC does not know the hostname of your member
 > server. You can add A records but it's better to get this right before
 > you join the domain. Un join, correct your dns then rejoin. Solution
 > above.
 >
 > HTH
 > Steve

On that network, I don't have other server than the samba DC

I used old version of samba and winbind on the linux workstation.
I'll have a try with newer version.

Thanks Steve

Cyril