[Samba] l can't "see" files on NFS mounts using 3.6.15, after upgrading from 2.2.8a

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 08:03:03 MST 2013

What version of nfs is involved?

I suspect you are running into an issue with extended file
permissions.     Basic unix permissions read, write, execute with one
user, one group and then "other" (everyone else.)    Solaris 9 with UFS
supports more complex access control entries (getfacl and setfacl
commands.)  This  lets you have more granular permissions with multiple
users and groups which is closer to the windows ACL model.  .   The
Solaris 9 extended access controls do not map perfectly to WIndows so
sometimes you get unexpected results.   Look at the file permissions in
solaris with getfacl.  Try creating a file in solaris and set the perms
to be 777 and see if it shows up in Samba/Windows.

If your pemissions are ok for a local directory but not an nfs directory
, then NFS may be interfering with the extended permissions.   I moved
to Solaris 10 several years ago but I think with Solaris 9 I had to move
to NFS v4 to keep the file permissions behaving.         You may want to
go the opposite route and disable extended access controls in samba.

I also ran into problems with users who were in more than 16 groups when
resharing an NFS directory in samba.         I found it simpler to set
up samba on the 2nd server and use dfs links.

PS I do not have problems installing MS office from a network share.