[Samba] Active Directory dynamic DNS update

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Dec 17 05:57:56 MST 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 10:02 +0000, Richard Connon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to work out an issue with dynamic DNS update when I join my
> samba 3.6 client to my samba 4 AD domain.
>
> The issue seems to be the client machine attempting to assert its
> "local" domain name in its DNS update rather than using its hostname
> combined with the AD domain name as, for example, windows would.
>
> Is there a way to tell samba to send dynamic DNS updates for
> <hostname>.<AD domain name> rather than <hostname>.<local domain name>
>
> Regards,
> Richard

Hi
The only time a DNS update will register is when you first join the
domain. Otherwise, Samba sends no dns update requests. If you want the
clients to update their dns entries as windows clients do, use sssd. It
will update the client as and when it is needed. I think from your
question that it is the join itself which gives a dns error.

The best way to overcome this is to unjoin the client and then simply
put:
127.0.0.1 hostname.ad-domain-name hostname
I.P.OF.DC dc.ad-domain-name dc
into /etc/hosts

Then fiddle with the other files I mentioned and make sure that:
hostname
returns:
hostname
and that:
hostname -f
returns:
hostname.ad-domain-name

Now join the domain and the dns will register.
HTH
Steve