[Samba] [SOLVED] [Samba 3, Debian wheezy] All of a sudden, resolving ADS user fails completely (was: [Samba 3, Debian wheezy] All of a sudden, resolving ADS user fails completely)

Patrick G. Stoesser lists at pgs-info.de
Wed Dec 11 08:22:45 MST 2013

Hello everybody,

thanks a lot everybody helping me to find the error.

My idmap uid and gid were set to 10000-20000. After years of running,
ist is no more reproducible why they were set to that.

The defaults now are 10000-95000. And as Michael said, "If you have user
or primary group with a uid/gid outside configured range, it will
silently break and not resolve a user."

And that was it! After setting uid and gid idmap to 10000-95000,
everything worked fine again - and that with "my" config. And also with
the new updated samba components.

So I guess, the small uid and gid range was somehow tolerated in
*deb7u1, but no more in *deb7u2.

Nevertheless, I will ASAP switch to the new notation (idmap config
DOMAINNAME:schema_mode = rfc2307 etc.).

One again, thanks very much for helping me out.

Kind regards, Patrick