[Samba] option hide unreadable not work

Francesco Malvezzi francesco.malvezzi at unimore.it
Wed Dec 4 08:26:36 MST 2013

Il 04/12/2013 12:51, spiderslack ha scritto:
> Hi all.
>
> I thying settings the option "hide unreadable" but not work. I tested
> in global section and share section, follow my settings now. after
> various tests.
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = BATLAB
>         realm = BATLAB.CORP
>         netbios name = GAUSS
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
> drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>         template shell = /bin/bash
>         load printers = no
>         hide dot files = yes
>         hide unreadable = yes
>         #access based share enum = Yes
>
> [administracao]
>        path = /administracao
>        guest ok = No
>        veto files =
> /*.mp3/*.jpg/*.png/*.jpeg/*.avi/*.flv/*.mpg/*.wma/*.wav/*.mpeg/*.bmp
>        hide dot files = Yes
>        hide unreadable = Yes
>        hide unwriteable files = Yes
>        write list = @g_administracao
>        read list = @g_administracao
>
> The permission for directory "/administracao"
>
> root at gauss:# ls -l administracao/
> total 80
> d--------- 2 nobody nogroup 20480 Nov  4 20:36 adm_batlab
> d--------- 3 nobody nogroup  4096 Nov  4 20:30 Agenda BATLAB
> ---------- 1 nobody nogroup 48128 Nov 10  2010 ATOS 001 EDVALDO.xls
> root at gauss:# getfacl administracao/
> # file: administracao/
> # owner: nobody
> # group: nogroup
> user::---
> group::---
> other::---
>
> root at gauss:/batlab#
>

> but in smbclient this displaying share.
> root at gauss:~# /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L \\127.0.0.1
> Enter root's password:
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[BATLAB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.0.4]
>
>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>         ---------       ----      -------
>         administracao   Disk
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.0.4)
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[BATLAB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.0.4]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>
>         Workgroup            Master
>         ---------            -------
> root at gauss:~#
>

> Any idea

Pardon, I didn't understand. The share is going to show up even if all
file inside are hidden (as a empty share shows up unless you mark it
with hidden = true).

As far as I understand, "hide unreadable" protect the windows users from
seeing files in Windows Explorer they are not meant to know about.

So: it is a option about files, not about shares.

Please accept in advance my apologies if I didn't understand,

Francesco