[Samba] Samba4 Winbind on DC Authentication problem

Ron García-Vidal ron at riomargroup.com
Tue Dec 3 16:43:28 MST 2013

So, I've finally gotten around to installing a Samba4 AD DC.  I've
joined a Win7 and Ubuntu machine to the domain so far, and all works
perfectly.  Great job guys, it's nice to see this functionality working
solidly on Samba!

The problem is coming in on the actual DC host.  My Ubuntu laptop is
running winbindd 3.6.18, and as I said, all went flawlessly.  The DC
host is running Debian Wheezy (7.2) and I installed Samba 4.1.2 from the
source tarball.

I have followed the guide here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Winbind

Including symlinking the libnss_winbind.so and pam_winbind.so to their
proper locations.  wbinfo -u/g and getent passwd/group are working fine,
as is the id command.  Here are the problems:

1) getent passwd/group are returning DOMAIN+username, even though I have
specified winbind use default domain = yes in smb.conf.  Not a huge
deal, but it would be neater to see just username in single-domain
environments.

2) I have specified rid backend, but the UID mapping is still showing as
the default algorithm.  I had changed it to rid after I had already done
a getent passwd using the defaults.  Is this just a matter of clearing
the mappings so it can re-assign them?  I did try deleting the mapping
for 1 user via ldbedit, but it came back with the same number
afterward.  The rid mapping is working as expected on the Ubuntu/Samba
3/6/18 machine.

  (On a side note, what is the current best-practice for consistent UID
mapping, since my google hunting seems to indicate rid isn't the best?)

3) Most importantly, I'm getting authentication failures when logging
into the machine.  I can log on as userx with password xyz from my
Ubuntu box, and I can access the server and all its shares from my
windows box, so I know the user is authenticating properly with that
password.  If, as root, I su - userx it works fine, and the id and
whoami commands work as expected (with the DOMAIN portion appearing, of
course).

But if I try to login, both as userx and DOMAIN+userx, I get
"Authentication failure" in auth.log.  I get the same error when trying
to log in via ssh.

I am only assuming pam_winbind is working properly, and the
account/session portions are behaving correctly, it's the auth that
seems to be the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for the great work to the Samba team!

-Ron

--

Riomar Group <http://www.riomargroup.com>*Ron García-Vidal | President |
Riomar Group (A NYC & NYS Certified MBE)*