[Samba] samba4 + winbind did not work

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Aug 12 13:35:23 MDT 2013

Hello Darek,

Am 12.08.2013 21:09, schrieb Darek Frączkiewicz:
> I was add in smb.conf
> log file = /var/log/samba.log
>
> and now i see:
>
> [2013/08/12 21:02:08,  0] ../source4/smbd/server.c:461(binary_smbd_main)
>    At this time the 'samba' binary should only be used for either:
>    'server role = active directory domain controller' or to access the
> ntvfs file server with 'server services = +s$
>    You should start smbd/nmbd/winbindd instead for domain member and
> standalone file server tasks
>
> I don't understand this log...

Just to clarify some things:
- Is your winbind configuration on the same machine as your DC?
- Or are you configuring winbind on a member server (a different machine)?
- And you are running Samba 4 as AD DC (not an NT4-style domain), right?

The configuration I described in the Wiki is only tested on a member server.

If you require to have the Samba AD accounts local on your Samba DC (not
on a member server), then the winbind configuration may be a bit
different (haven't done that yet). But you can use nslcd (adapt the
config from here:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Authenticating_other_services_against_AD#Nslcd:_User.2FGroups_from_AD_through_openLDAP_proxy)
or sssd (if you google, there are some configuration examples for
setting up sssd with AD).

Regards
Marc