[Samba] Changed PDC IP, all hell broke lose

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 4 12:23:53 MDT 2012

It is definitely an issue with the WINS server which returns the old IP
address

# nmblookup -U 172.27.88.81 -R 'MRIRESEARCH#1b'
querying MRIRESEARCH on 172.27.88.81
132.183.202.95 MRIRESEARCH<1b>

SO it is not automatically picking up the IP change which happened 4 days ago
and I have restarted samba on my PDC several times.  The old IP is definitely
not in /etc/hosts anymore or anywhere in smb.conf.  It only shows up in
gencache.tdb in the files /var/lib/samba even though I keep deleting that
file when I restart.

WINS is a total mystery to me.  How is this supposed to work?

-- Paul Raines (http://help.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu)