[Samba] help with shadow copy implementation

Prashanth Sundaram prashanth.sundaram at laurioncap.com
Wed Oct 31 10:26:26 MDT 2012

Hi,

Over the past several days I have been trying to get the shadow to work with samba but haven't been successful. Can someone check below config and let me know if I am missing something? We are using Equallogic SAN and iSCSI LUNS to mount volumes.

I can cleanly access samba shares on Windows 7 clients but just not shadow copy. I have referred the official how-to but couldn't get it to work. I see these messages in the logs.  Any help is deeply appreciated.

-          What  should be value of shadow:snapdir?

[2012/10/31 12:20:53.549863,  0] smbd/nttrans.c:2170(call_nt_transact_ioctl)
  FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_COPY_DATA: connectpath /fs/test-01, failed.
[2012/10/31 12:21:13.887198,  0] modules/vfs_shadow_copy2.c:734(shadow_copy2_get_shadow_copy2_data)
  shadow:snapdir not found for /fs/test-01 in get_shadow_copy_data
[2012/10/31 12:21:13.887265,  0] smbd/nttrans.c:2170(call_nt_transact_ioctl)
  FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_COPY_DATA: connectpath /fs/test-01, failed.
== Samba pkgs ==
samba-3.5.10-116.el6_2.x86_64
samba-common-3.5.10-116.el6_2.x86_64
samba-winbind-clients-3.5.10-116.el6_2.x86_64
samba-client-3.5.10-116.el6_2.x86_64

=== df -h ==
/dev/mapper/eql-0-fs-test01                            5.0G  2.3G  2.5G  48% /fs/test-01
/dev/mapper/eql-2-0+fs-test01                       5.0G  2.3G  2.5G  48% /fs/test-01/@GMT-2012.10.26-17.32.42/fs/test-01<mailto:/fs/test-01/@GMT-2012.10.26-17.32.42/fs/test-01>   (SNAPSHOT-1)
/dev/mapper/eql-d-0+fs-test01                       5.0G  2.3G  2.5G  48% /fs/test-01/@GMT-2012.10.31-11.52.42/fs/test-01<mailto:/fs/test-01/@GMT-2012.10.31-11.52.42/fs/test-01>   (SNAPSHOT- 2)

===/etc/samba/smb.conf ===
[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        security = ads
        realm = DOMAIN.CORP
        encrypt passwords = yes
        guest account = nobody
        map to guest = bad uid
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

        domain master = no
        local master = no
        preferred master = no
        os level = 0

        load printers = no
        show add printer wizard = no
        printable = no
        printcap name = /dev/null
        disable spoolss = yes

        follow symlinks = yes
        wide links = yes
        unix extensions = no

[test]
        comment = Test Directories
        path = /fs/test-01
        vfs objects = shadow_copy2
        #shadow_copy2: sort = desc
        #shadow: localtime = yes
        #shadow: snapdir = /fs/test-01/test
        #shadow: basedir = /fs/test-01
        guest ok = yes
        writeable = yes
        map archive = no
        force create mode = 0660
        force directory mode = 2770
        inherit owner = yes
        inherit permissions = yes

All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Confidentiality Notice from Laurion Capital Management LP:

The information in this message, including any attachment, is confidential and intended for use only by the designated recipient(s) named above. It is the property of Laurion Capital Management LP or its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient, please return the message to the sender and delete all copies of it, including attachments, from your computer. Unauthorized use, disclosure, dissemination or copying of this message or any part hereof is strictly prohibited. This message is for information purposes only. The information expressed herein may be changed at any time without notice or obligation to update.

No warranty is made as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this communication. Any views or opinions presented are those of only the author and do not necessarily represent those of Laurion Capital Management LP or its related entities. This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an offer, solicitation or recommendation to sell or purchase any security or other financial product.

Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure, virus-free or error-free. Therefore, we do not represent that this message is virus-free, complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. Laurion Capital Management LP and its affiliates accept no liability for any damage sustained in connection with the content or transmission of this message.

Laurion Capital Management LP and its related entities reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.