[Samba] Restricting DC Roles?

zbethel zbethel at cse.taylor.edu
Thu Oct 25 08:19:14 MDT 2012

I have a small AD forest of two Windows 2008 R2 domain controllers. I would
like to add a Samba 4 DC to this forest. After running into some problems
with group policies, I realized that Samba 4 does not currently implement
file replication. I would like to have the Samba 4 domain controller
replicate user/computer schema with the Windows machines, but I would like
for DNS and group policy administration to happen strictly on the Windows
Machines. Is this possible?

If I don't do any manual replication to the Samba 4 machine, will client
machines occasionally pick the S4 box when logging in and attempt to mount
the SYSVOL share from it? Because that would come up empty and fail. Is it
possible to restrict logins to only certain DC's?

Thanks!