[Samba] Error

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:26:27 MDT 2012

Hi Steve

On 24 October 2012 16:48, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael.
> The HOWTO also recommends installation from the 4.1 master branch. Upon your
> tip, I switched to v4-0-test. Could it be that all the sysvol/dns/gpo
> problems we see here come from the bleeding edge?

I doubt that.  I think the master branch is pretty similar to the
v4-0-test branch at the moment.

> Would it perhaps be better
> to recommend new users to a rc tarball or for the more adventurous the 4.0
> test branch and leave master for the developers?

I did wonder that myself.  I'm not sure.

If someone runs into a problem and a developer sends them a patch, the
patch will likely be for the master branch, so may or may not apply
cleanly to the v4-0-test branch.

However, a user can always switch to master, test that, apply the
patch and test again if necessary, I suppose.

I would have thought it might make sense for users to stick with the
RC tarballs until they run into a problem.  At that point they could
get hold of master and apply any relevant patches to see if their
problem is fixed.  This way, at least users would be testing a stable
version instead of a moving target (until they switched to master in
order to apply the patch).

They could even checkout the relevant RC tag instead of getting the
tarball to keep everything in git.  But that might cause too much
confusion.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>