[Samba] new Win7 security setting broke Samba

Snyder, Gabrielle S. (LARC-D322)[HP ES] gabrielle.s.snyder at nasa.gov
Wed Oct 24 07:48:38 MDT 2012

Good day all!
I administer two Samba servers (RHEL 4.5) which, up to recently, had been working well.  Our security officials changed the LAN Manager group policy for the new Win7 systems from 'Send NTLMv2 response only; Refuse LM'  to 'Send NTLMv2 response only; Refuse LM & NTLM'.   We were running samba 3.0.33.  I have upgraded to 3.6.8-44.  I have tried a variety of different smb.conf file options to get the new version to work with the mandated security policy.  We only use Samba to map Linux shares onto Win7 clients.  The Win7 clients are part of a domain but the Linux servers are not.

Any help with how to setup Samba to work in this environment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Gabrielle