[Samba] Error

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 06:11:16 MDT 2012

Hi Steve

On 24 October 2012 12:00, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On 24/10/12 11:00, Michael Wood wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andrew
>>
>> On 24 October 2012 10:06, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 18:16 -0400, sandy.napoles at eccmg.cupet.cu wrote:
>>
>> Since an end-user is unlikely to have changed the ABI or know what
>> that means, perhaps that message would make more sense if reworded?
>>
>> e.g.:
>>
>> Please report this error to ... along with the version of your OS and
>> Samba (and gdb or whatever else you need to know).  In the mean time,
>> you can rerun configure with the --abi-check-disable option.
>
> Hi Michael, Andrew, Sandy, everyone.
> It's difficult for users to know what to ask when they have a problem.
> Perhaps it's easy for those who have worked with the code for the last 10
> years or so, but for end users we just want plain English answers such as
> Michael suggests.

What Andrew is saying is that the end-user should never even get the
error in the first place, let alone be confused by it.

This only came up because the HOWTO recommended using
./configure.developer.  Andrew has now changed the HOWTO to recommend
"./configure --enable-debug --enable-selftest".

That will apparently cause the ABI checks to be skipped, so the user
will not see these errors.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>