[Samba] Samba4 upgrade compatability

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 23 18:43:53 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 11:00 -0400, Caleb O'Connell wrote:
> I have an existing install of Samba4 ( I think beta6 vintage ), which
> uses ntvfs and bind9.  It's only providing AD and Group Policy.  I
> have a seperate
> file server running 3.6.x.
>
> I want to add a server to the domain running the most recent RC.  I
> know they are using internal by default and s3fs for the file shares
> on sysvol.  Can
> s3fs coexist with ntvfs?  Can the internal DNS coexist with Bind?

In theory, yes.

> Is there a specific reason to use the internal now?  I'm happy with
> bind so if it's literally just a preference issue I'll probably stick
> with what I have.
>
> If there are good reasons to move to s3fs and internal? is there an
> easy way to migrate the older domains via the upgrade?

If you are happy with your current configuration, then just use the same
with rc3.  Both ntvfs and bind9_dlz can be selected at provision time,
and are fully supported options.

The defaults are selected to confirm with the team's wishes that we have
one default file server, able to do the same things that smbd has done
in the past, and to have a simpler DNS setup for new, simple
installations.

Do your upgrade or add your DC, and once you are comfortable with that,
then change which file server or DNS server you want to use, if you feel
the need.  Don't feel compelled to change your working installation just
because we changed the default for new installations.

For ntvfs and bind9 DNS, on your upgraded DC you will need to follow the
WHATSNEW and set:

server services = +smb -s3fs -dns
dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc

When you want to change file servers, you will want to run 'samba-tool
ntacl sysvolreset' to reset the ACLs.  (Also handy after rsync of
sysvol).

I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett