[Samba] CIFS: Deprecating NFS mounting syntax in mount.cifs

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:27:56 MDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On 10/23/2012 05:56 PM, Scott Lovenberg wrote:
>>
>> On 10/18/2012 2:07 PM, scott.lovenberg at gmail.com wrote:
>> no one has objected (or really said anything).  Can we merge this patch?
>> --
>
> Hi
> I'm just trying to represent users. Can we take this to user level by giving
> an example of what will work and what will not work after the patch?

I should clarify, this patch doesn't change the behavior of the mount
utility, it just warns the user that in future releases the syntax
that they are using will be removed.  The patch to remove the behavior
is going to be in a later release.

What will work is any path that begins with "//" or "\\" which is a
normal UNC.  So your normal "//server/share" path is fine.  NFS syntax
allows for you to specify the path like "server:/share".  That syntax
will no longer work in cifs-utils 6.0.

> For example, the Linux automounter.
>
> Currently, we have this map:
> * -fstype=cifs,rw,sec=krb5 ://myserver/myshare/&
>
> Are you talking about the difference between that and this:
> * -fstype=cifs,rw,sec=krb5 myserver:/myshare/&
>
> Question: will I need to change anything due to this patch?

Quite the opposite, the "//myserver/myshare" is correct,
"myserver:/myshare" will no longer work.  The ':' is part of the
automounter's map syntax.  It will use the path "//myserver/myshare".

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.