[Samba] wins: no nmblookup on 192.168.1.255 but 192.168.1.2

Пламен Петров plamen at petrovi.no-ip.info
Tue Oct 23 10:05:45 MDT 2012

На 23.10.2012 г. 17:25, Florian Götz написа:
> Got the same problem here with Samba 3.6.8.
> If you address the the interface directly I get an answer from
> nmblookup, if the request is done via broadcast I get none.
>
> Please let me know if you find a solution to that problem.
>
> Regards
> Florian Götz
>

> Am 14.10.2012 11:06, schrieb Rieker Flaik:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   here is a client computer and a server computer (Debian Wheezy, armel,
>> samba Version 3.6.6, IP address: 192.168.1.2, Name: xyz).
>>
>> Problem: wins doesn't answer nmblookups by the client on the broadcast
>> address:
>>
>> client$ nmblookup -S xyz
>> querying xyz on 192.168.1.255
>> name_query failed to find name xyz
>>
>> Why is that so? How to fix this?

Hello, Rieker and Florian!

I was wondering what version of the linux kernel are you running?

I had a situation, where a bunch of Windows XP machines would not see
their SAMBA server when looked up by Netbios name after I upgraded the
linux kernel from 3.5.6 to 3.6.2. My solution was to revert back to the
linux 3.5.x series, but now the 3.5.x series is officially dead [1].

If the SAMBA server was called by IP, a la "\\192.168.1.1\" - the
windows PCs would see the SAMBA server without problem.

The setup I have is somewhat specific, though, as the SAMBA server has 3
NICs total, and routes traffic to the two subnets it feeds internet and
SAMBA, among other services. The config file I use forces SAMBA to bind
only to the 2 site local network interfaces, if that plays a role.

Because mine is a production setup, I couldn't play with it and look for
where the problem is. So I just switched back to the known good kernel
and called it a day.

My SAMBA version is 3.6.8.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1375014

P.S. I sent this e-mail earlier, but perhaps you did not receive it
because I was not subscribed to the list. Sorry if you are recieving it
twice.
--
Plamen Petrov