[Samba] Samba4 upgrade compatability

felix at epepm.cupet.cu felix at epepm.cupet.cu
Tue Oct 23 09:17:25 MDT 2012

> I have an existing install of Samba4 ( I think beta6 vintage ), which uses
> ntvfs and bind9.  It's only providing AD and Group Policy.  I have a
> seperate
> file server running 3.6.x.
>
> I want to add a server to the domain running the most recent RC.  I know
> they are using internal by default and s3fs for the file shares on sysvol.
>  Can
> s3fs coexist with ntvfs?  Can the internal DNS coexist with Bind?
>
> Is there a specific reason to use the internal now?  I'm happy with bind
> so if it's literally just a preference issue I'll probably stick with what
> I have.
>
> If there are good reasons to move to s3fs and internal? is there an easy
> way to migrate the older domains via the upgrade?
>
> Thanks in advance to everyone.
>
> Caleb O'Connell

Until a couple of weeks ago the internal dns server had an issue with the
forwarder (kept connections open until it reached more than 1000, then it
didn't reply to requests out of the local domain) and it also didn't
update the reverse zone. I don't know whether it it's been fixed or not.

Best regards,
Felix.