[Samba] Directories recursive deletion problem

Mon Oct 22 03:53:49 MDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 03:25:29PM +0200, Pierre Evenou wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are trying  to export RozoFS (a scale out nas, see www.rozofs.org) with
> Samba to windows clients, but we're facing a strange behavior.
>
> While every thing sounds good, windows 7 explorer fails to delete
> directories recursively.
>
> We create a directories foo/bar on the share, if we suppress foo with the
> explorer, bar is suppressed but not foo (do it twice and you're done), on
> the other hand in Windows CMD, rmdir /S foo works perfectly (as with linux
> and OS X (10.5 and 10.6 at least) clients).
>
> The test has been done with Samba 3.5.6 (debian squeeze) and 3.6.6 (debian
> wheezy). smbd logs ant tracing smbd with strace gives almost the same for
> Explorer and CMD.
>
> Any idea will be really helpfull.

It probably comes down to compare the log.smbd and strace
from the rozofs share to what the same smbd shows on an
ext4 mount. Samba might have subtle assumptions about file
system behaviour that rozofs does not exactly the same way
that ext4 does.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de