[Samba] Passwords with special characters

Harry Kashouli kashmancy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 18:45:25 MDT 2012

Details:
Ubuntu 12.10
Samba version - Version 3.5.11-cdc-4.5.3-573
CentrifyDC version - CentrifyDC 5.0.2-396

Hi all,

I am using Centrify Express to connect to my work domain, and I am using
their version of Samba, hence the version listed above. I already posted
this query to them, and they directed me to here, stating that this may be
a Samba issue: Centrify forum
query<http://community.centrify.com/t5/Centrify-enabled-Samba/Special-characters-in-password-Cannot-log-in-Samba-share/td-p/6966>

When I try to connect to my share in Windows (XP/7/8) via Windows Explorer,
I get the user/password prompt. My password has a special character in it
(!), and it is not accepted; the prompt never goes away. For users that do
not have special characters in their passwords, the connection is instant.

I noticed that almost always, if I reboot my Windows machine and try to
connect to the share again, it is successful, and I never get the
user/password prompt. So it's as if the server finally accepts the password.

Below is my smb.conf, with company info removed:

#
# This file was generated by Centrify ADBindProxy Utility
#
[global]
    security = ADS
    realm = ***.**.**.***
    workgroup = ****
    netbios name = shockwave
    auth methods = guest, sam, winbind, ntdomain
    machine password timeout = 0
    passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/private/passdb.tdb
    log level = 2

    #
    # Samba versions 3.4.0 and newer have replaced "use kerberos keytab"
    # with "kerberos method".  The directive "kerberos method = system
keytab"
    # enables Samba to honor service tickets that are still valid but were
    # created before the Samba server's password was changed.
    #
    kerberos method = system keytab

    #
    # Setting "client use spnego principal" to true instructs SMB client to
    # trust the service principal name returned by the SMB server.
Otherwise,
    # client cannot be authenticated via Kerberos by the server in a
different
    # domain even though the two domains are mutually trusted.
    #
    client use spnego principal = true
    #
    # Setting send spnego principal to yes .
    # Otherwise, it will not send this principal between Samba and Windows
2008
    #
    send spnego principal = Yes
    # If your Samba server only serves to Windows systems, try server
signing = mandato$
    server signing = auto
    template shell = /bin/bash
    winbind use default domain = Yes
    winbind enum users = No
    winbind enum groups = No
    winbind nested groups = Yes
    ignore syssetgroups error = No
    idmap uid = 1000 - 200000000
    idmap gid = 1000 - 200000000
    enable core files = false
    #  Disable Logging to syslog, and only write log to Samba standard log
files.
    syslog = 0
[samba-test]
    path = /samba-test
    public = yes
    #  if set  public = No, we should  set parameter valid users .
    #  and when the user or group is in AD , the setting syntaxes is:
    #  valid users = ****\username +****\group
    writable = yes

[homes]
    comment = Home directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No
    root preexec = /home/driller/Scripts/mkhomedir.sh %U
[files]
    comment = drilled files
    path = /mnt/shares/files
#    valid users = ****\hkashouli
    create mask = 777
    force create mode = 777
    directory mask = 777
    force directory mode = 777
    writable = yes

I'm guessing it's a charset encoding issue somewhere? I will try to add the
following options in smb.conf, but if anyone knows why passwords with
special characters are not accepted, it would be a great help:

 display charset = UTF8
>  unix charset = UTF8

If you need more logs, please let me know.

Many thanks,
-Harry