[Samba] mount.cifs: regular freezes with s3fs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Oct 18 09:55:29 MDT 2012

On 18/10/12 14:17, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:21:39 +0200
> steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
>
>> On 18/10/12 11:48, Jeff Layton wrote:
>>> On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:18:05 +0200
>>> steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
>>>

> The capture is not complete, since it doesn't contain the TCP
> connection setup. Thus, I can't offer any root causes for the hang...
>
> Everything seems to be swimming along just fine until frame 835. At
> that point the server issues an oplock break for FID 0x8b11 to which
> the client does not respond. This happens just after a call to unlink
> "/home/steve3/.cache/openbox/openbox.log". Most likely the client had
> that file open and oplocked so the server issued this prior to allowing
> the unlink to proceed. The client never responds to that oplock break
> though and the server eventually gives up.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no record of FID 0x8b11 in the capture (the
> open apparently predates when it was started), so I can't offer much
> more in the way of explanation.
>
> Most likely this is a client bug, so you may want to try a more recent
> kernel on the client and see if it helps. If it doesn't though, then
> I'd recommend getting a more complete capture that we can analyze.
>
> I'll make one other general recommendation. Consider setting "min
> receivefile size" on the server. That allows you to do large POSIX
> writes which may help performance in general.

Hi Jeff
It looks as though the error is with s3fs. I set up a separate filesever
against the DC with samba3.6.7 and it works perfectly. I also tested an
Ubuntu DC with a 3.6.3 fileserver. Also OK.

I know it's not recommended to use s3fs for fileserving but maybe the
s3fs devs need to know about this? If so, I'll need the correct trace.
 From what you've said I need to start the trace before the client boots
mounts the share (?). One of the problems in getting a trace is that it
takes many attempts to get a successful login. It quite often hangs
during logon and goes no further.

I had a quick look at the min receiverfile size. Numbers vary but values
around 16000 seem popular. Any recommendations?

Any help you can give me in reporting this to the team would be most
gratefully received.

Thanks for your time,
Steve