[Samba] Samba4 HOWTO: Correction on Setting up a File Share

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 03:34:45 MDT 2012

Hi Samba Wiki Editors,

I just created my account on the wiki so I can't edit (this section) of
this SAMBA4 page yet:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO#Step_12:_Setup_a_File_Share

It tells you to edit smb.conf, and then it says:
"Note: In older alpha versions of Samba4 you need to restart Samba to make
new shares visible."

However, simply editing smb.conf was not sufficient for my new share to
appear automatically.
I'm running s3fs on Samba 4.0.0 RC2, so I'm inferring that the switch from
ntvfs to s3fs broke the ability of Samba4 to automatically re-read smb.conf
for new shares..

Fortunately, I was able to make the share appear without restarting samba
entirely by running this s3fs-specific command:
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbcontrol smbd reload-config
And I'd recommend the wiki page be updated to instruct all s3fs users to
run that command.

Thanks,
-Mike