[Samba] samba 4 / replicate ldap

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 10 03:17:42 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 11:09 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai Andrew,
> thank you for you reply.
>
> In very short.
>
> I want to replicate the database of samba4 to an other locations, over wan.
> I want to have 1 domainname for signon, windows wil choose the closed location, so this should work.
> Every other location wil have its own samba server ( in DC mode ), with proxy which is using the auth of samba. ( or info from local replicated read only ldap )
> Since this is over wan, i want to replicate the database.
>
> I install the extra server in the main location, then will move it to the external location.
> IP / DNS setup is nog problem for me, the location will have there own dhcp+dns server
> the dns zone wil be replicated to the master dns ( aka samba AD server on mail lokation )
>
> this way i can manage everythis from main location.
> Kix script is used for login script, these files are replicated between the netlogon folders.
> ( and you i know the differences with sysvol ) I do windows/linux/novell servers.
>
> This setup works good with samba3, for years now.
> The total setup had debian with samba ddns+dhcp, proxy , webservers, mailservers ( with zarafa7 and yes, i have pro licence, for ad integration ).
> for most servers i can use the basic ldap info in the main location.
>
> I read that replication over wan didnt work. with for example novell NDS, i can replicate 1 part of the NDS and as far i know this is not possible with AD.

This all sounds like a perfect candiate for multiple Samba domain
controllers, perhaps with RODCs at some sites if you would prefer.
There shouldn't be any issue with replication over the WAN - it's just
another IP network as far as Samba is concerned.

Just use Samba's DRS as the replication framework and it should just
work...

Andrew Bartlett